Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Chapter 0 Problem-Solving Workbook

If you have been reading this blog, you may know that I am working on a textbook this summer for my Honors Problem-Solving Seminar. Yesterday, I decided to call it a "workbook." There will be plenty of space for students to write ideas in it, as opposed to a textbook, which is usually pristine, with possible highlighting.

Last week, I posted my first Problem Set and got a lot of GREAT feedback on the blog comments and through Twitter. So many people shared resources with me, and I am not sure I will ever have the time to go through all of them.

I am hoping for some more constructive criticism on Chapter 0.

In Chapter 0, I explain the setup of the course:

  • When to work collaboratively and when to work individually;  
  • The need to be a supportive classmate when problem-solving; 
  • For students to know that it can be both scary and frustrating to problem-solve--but also very rewarding; 
  • That the class is broken up into three main parts; 
  • How quizzes are structured; 
  • How problem sets will be graded; 
  • Other grades in the course; and finally, 
  • An opening problem that I blogged about here and Angela Duckworth's Grit video and quiz, which I wrote about last year when I was thinking about how to run the course for its first year. 
I love having more structure in this course and am excited to have my own editable workbook. 
Please let me know your thoughts after you click on the link below.


I probably will not be sharing everything about the workbook, as it is a little scary to share all my thoughts and ideas with #MTBoS...and I also know that what I do may not work for all and is very unique to how I learn and how I teach...so, please be gentle... :)

No comments: