Thursday, June 2, 2016

My Top Ten Math Blogs I Follow, Plus Two Bonuses

I follow (gulp!) 232 blogs on https://www.bloglovin.com/. I know some are defunct, and some are possibly renamed from older blogs, but I can't let go of any of them. I know it's geeky, but every morning, with coffee in hand, I browse through my blog feed and get ideas from great people from around the world.

http://www.fishing4tech.com/mtbos.html is an awesome place to search through blogs for a particular topic, but I truly love "happening" upon an interesting lesson or thought each day. I learn from so many people everyday, MTBoS is my virtual classroom.

ALL of the blogs are AWESOME, truly, whether they are about a lesson or even just a teacher's difficult life moment. I want to share with you my personal list of top ten blogs...ones that personally connect with me almost every single time. They are in no particular order, but generally, each time these bloggers post, I save them. They make me go, "hmmmmm." Maybe they will resonate with you, too.

1. Fawn Nguyen's Finding Ways. The first time I heard of Fawn was at TMC '15 . She gave perhaps the most passionate talk I've ever heard. Fawn is so brutally honest and true, and I think she connects with everyone. She can make you laugh and cry in the same sentence. She is fiercely protective of her students, like a momma bear with cubs. And get out of her way if you do anything to hinder the performance of her students. Every time I read her blog, I feel cathartic. Like it's everything I wanted to say but could never get it out nor could have the courage to say it. She is courageous, and it's no wonder everyone loves her.
2. Sarah Carter's  Math Equals Love. If you haven't heard of the Sarah formally known as Mrs. Hagan, you could be living under a rock. Sarah has been featured on NPR's All Things Considered and even found her husband Shaun Carter on hard material. When you see her posts, you think, now why didn't I think of that? She is extremely relatable and it's no wonder her students love her.
MTBoS. Sarah does great things with Interactive Notebooks and planners, but she also finds easy, uncomplicated ways to teach and provides links to fantastic handouts.

3. Julie Reulbach's I Speak Math. Julie teaches Algebra 2, and if you need great resources and ideas, she's got them. She also will answer your questions on Twitter, and she taught me how to use Kahoot! at TMC '15...which, by the way, many of the teachers in my school now use!

4. Sam Shah's Continuous Everywhere But Differentiable Nowhere. Sam has unique ideas that I've never seen anywhere. I've used the fist bump problem (a take on the handshake problem), which I blogged about here and here. I use a lot of his problems in my problem-solving class. His posts are thoughtful, kid-tested, and there is always humor. And they are thought-provoking and genuine. I love them!

5. Meg Craig's Insert Clever Math Pun Here. Do you need ANY and ALL resources for Pre-Calculus, Algebra II, or Geometry? Meg's got them. All of them. She makes awesome review sheets and we both preach not to Kill a Kitten with our students. She is also the Queen of Gifs and cheering people up who need cheering. The world is a better place because of Meg! And who can resist her cute hat profile picture on Twitter??

6. Jo Morgan's Resourceaholic. I particularly like her gems, which truly are little nuggets of helpful links and resources that she finds by scouring Twitter and other places so you don't have to. I find nifty puzzles and facts there every post. She is also an amazing resource for England's math GCSE test that I don't give, but I do like to follow.

7. Amie Albrecht's  Wonder in Mathematics. I've only just discovered Amie's blog, and it is chockful of fantastic ideas. I particularly love her Friday Five series, where she, like Jo, finds awesome ideas so you don't have to.

8. Sara Vanderwerf's Saravanderwerfdotcom. Sara is also more of a recent find for me. She has great resources, and everyone loves her (secret)5x5 Most Amazing Just for Fun Game.

9. Ok, you get two here because I confused Alex Overwijk's Slam Dunk Math with Bob Loch's Math Coach Blog. I met both at TMC '15, and loved working with Bob in the Desmos workshop. He has great AP Stats resources. If you are into Visible Random Grouping, then Alex is the one for you. I had the pleasure of participating in his TMC '15 session, and it was fantastic...plus, he is pretty famous for something pretty cool, as you can see in this video!
10. Pam Wilson's The Radical Rational. Again, this is just another awesome site with great things posted...and she wears my math club's T-shirt.

Two bonus blogs. 

I save posts from http://www.freetech4teachers.com/ and http://www.educatorstechnology.com/ all the time, as they often have great tech ideas to incorporate in the classroom. Though not necessarily math related, I use their ideas to get ideas across to students using technology.

In keeping this list to a top 10, I know I left several blogs out that I adore. What are your favorite blogs?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Your blog is on my top 10 list... I am guessing your blog is on others as well. Thanks for all the great ideas and information in helping us all become better teachers.

Lisa Winer said...

Thank you! That is very kind of you to say :)