Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Ted-Ed Virus Riddle

My third Ted-Ed riddle was published yesterday. Here is the link to the actual lesson:
http://ed.ted.com/lessons/can-you-solve-the-virus-riddle-lisa-winer.

This was a fun one to do because it required me to research some Discrete Math topics that I learned back in grad school, like Hamiltonian Paths and circuits. The playful ending of the "Traveling salesperson" is a famous graph theory problem that students likely don't know about yet.

It's not a particularly difficult one, but certainly can stump a class for a good five minutes. Show it in class and be sure to show the second part even if kids get it right so they learn a little bit about graph theory and Sir William Rowan Hamilton...no, not THAT Hamilton!

Here are links to my other Ted-Ed riddles:
This one is more "mathy" and great for higher levels, though MS kids do enjoy it, too. 


This one is an easier one that takes some time for kids to figure out. This could be done with all levels and I love having students "act" out the part. 


And here's an all-time favorite that I did not write, but I love to do with kids. Again, having them act it out is very fun!



No comments: